Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Style Guy...

I just thought i would share...some style guy know-how!

Q: I live in New York City, where it’s not uncommon to see guys without their shirts in summer. I’m tempted to join my shirtless brothers, but I don’t want to look like I was raised by wolves. When is it okay to go without a shirt?

A: Any man walking around shirtless in New York City should be arrested for disturbing the peace. We don’t expect ladies to walk around shirtless; why have a double standard? I don’t even approve of topless men on billboards. No wonder people don’t respect one another—we’ve all become intimates. I favor a return to the civil standards of urban appearance that pertained before the ’60s. In 1942 even Tarzan wore a suit and tie in Gotham (see Tarzan’s New York Adventure). It’s okay for men to go without their shirts on the beach or in a skins-and-shirts hoops game. Otherwise, keep your shirt on, pally.

Q: With summer around the corner, can you tell me what kind of shoes work best with shorts? Do I have to put my desert boots in hibernation?

A: There is a certain charm in desert boots with shorts. In fact, hiking boots also give one an air of alpine joie de vivre. You may also wear loafers with no socks, white bucks, or sandals, but please save the flip-flops for the shower room.

Q: I own two pairs of Chuck Taylor low-tops (one black, one white). The thing is, I’m 39, and my wife thinks I look like a little boy in them. Are there particular kinds of pants I can wear them with so I still look like a grown man?

A: Mmmm…long pants? That particular model of sneaker does actually look nice with khakis. Maybe your wife isn’t against Chuck Taylors per se; she’s really signaling that you wear your tennies too often. (You do have two pairs.) You could argue that she’s lucky you’re not wearing running shoes influenced by science fiction, or you could work some penny loafers and Top-Siders into the casual rotation.

No comments:

Post a Comment